Another think, again

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 23 05:20:25 UTC 2008

Language Log

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/004971.html

suggests that even those who say "another think" probably are unfamiliar with

"If you think that, then you have another think coming!"

I haven't felt such sorrow since I saw a sign reading:

"To each _their_ own."

And the sorrow became even deeper when someone suggested that I should
be happy that the sign didn't read:

"To each _his or her_ own."

The idea that "their" may have been used on purpose and not out of
[...] nearly induced a myocardial infarction.

-Wilson

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Arnold M. Zwicky
<zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Another think, again
>
> On May 22, 2008, at 5:15 PM, Alison Murie wrote:
>

>> The substitution of "hone" for "home" reminds me of another which we
>> may
>> have discussed here:  "pawn" (off)   in place of "palm."  I think of
>> these
>> as coming in at about the same time, but that may be simply because  I
>> became aware of them through my children(all born in the '50s)'s
>> speech.
>
> in the ecdb as "nearly mainstream" (with reference to an earlier ADS-L
> discussion):
>
> http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/931/pawn/
>
> arnold

-----