Heard on The Judges: "The Man" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri May 23 19:41:43 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm the supervisor of a smallish Army lab that is the sole occupant of a
building at Redstone Arsenal.  Janitorial services are contracted out,
and most of the time, the person that Phoenix Services will send over
twice a week is black.

Our current janitor, Scottie, has referred to me as "the man" a couple
of times, and the first time, I thought he might be subtly insulting me
(I knew of "the man" from the sense of "the man is keeping us down", as
in an oppressive power structure guy).  I ain't perfect, but I try to
treat him the same way I do any other coworker -- if he does good work,
he deserves my respect (and he does) -- so I was a little taken aback.
Eventually I figured out the usage you describe below -- that I'm "the
man" because I'm chief of the activity here -- and everything is fine.

We had another janitor (Clyde) who would show us, without asking, naked
pictures of both his wife and his "girlfriend".  He referred to the
latter as a "managed woman".  Eventually we figured out that he was her
"manager" -- he had turned her out.  I've never heard "managed woman" in
this sense before, and wonder if you've ever come across it.

Once, a coworker (Anthony) was standing talking to a group of us, with
his hands clasped behind his back.  Clyde snuck up behind him, opened
his fly, and laid his dick in Anthony's hand.  Anthony turned around to
see he was holding essentially a summer sausage.  It was the hardest
I've ever laughed in my life.