Antedating of "Gung Ho"

Sat May 24 18:07:31 UTC 2008

According to the Shogakukan Random House English-Japanese Dictionary
(1994), gung ho is from the Chinese 工合 (gōng hé) from a six-
character compound 軽工業合作社, which based on my understanding
of Japanese, I read to mean approximately "light industrial
cooperative", and is stated as having been interpreted to mean "let's
work together". They give the citation of 1942 by Carlson. BB