F-word acronyms

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 25 00:01:07 UTC 2008

At 7:30 PM -0700 4/27/08, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Go here, Wilson:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Jobe6/dont_look&action=history
>and you'll see that today somebody (not me, I swear) just edited out
>all the "fopps."
>
>   The "fopps" are in the version of January 14, 2008, if not before:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User:Jobe6/dont_look&oldid=184232245
>
>   JL
>
>Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>   ---------------------- Information from the mail header
>-----------------------
>Sender: American Dialect Society
>Poster: Wilson Gray
>Subject: Re: F-word acronyms
>
>The list leaves out WGAF "We give a fuck," used with negative polarity.
>
>I didn't see any exx. of "fop." Am I now blind in both eyes?
>
>Heard a minute ago on the TV re-run, Dexter: overshare = "TMI."
>
>-Wilson

In today's (or tomorrow's) NYT Magazine cover piece, "Blog-Post
Confidential", the tell-all author and semi-reformed blogger Emily
Gould (formerly of "Emily Magazine" and "Heartbreak Soup") admits on
at least 4 occasions to the offense of "oversharing".  WOTY anyone?
(I know, it's been around at least since 2006.)  It is nicely
versatile, allowing for a count noun ("an overshare") as well as a
verb, an interjection, a participle, etc.

LH