"another thing coming"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 28 19:36:37 UTC 2008

At 11:03 AM -0700 5/28/08, Brenda Lester wrote:
>FWIW: Remember Ricky Ricardo (Desi
>Arnez) (I LOVE LUCY)  used to say
>"thin" for thing?  We southerners say
>"nothin'."
>
>bl

But when?  Do you say "That's another thin"?  For
me (admittedly a non-southerner), there's a big
difference between "nothing" (which can be
[n^TIn] or [n^?n]) and "(another) thing" (which
can never be [TIn], only [TIN]).  ("Another thin"
can only be a request for a mint or some such.)
Is it different for (some) southerners?
(Non-native speakers like Desi are another
thin(g) completely.)

LH