Scots dialect samples

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 3 13:59:10 UTC 2008

The tale is no longer there, as far as I can tell. But there are links
to other examples of spoken Scots from the UPenn language collection.

The speaker on one of the tapes mentions "the real [m at kai]."

I could actually kind of understand the Scots. This strikes me as odd,
because I've heard Aussie speakers - in real life, not just in the
movies or on TV - that I couldn't understand *at all.* When I was in
the Army, I could easily understand the speech of Capt. Coneybear -
this surname freaked out us Americans, but we thought that his uniform
"berry," i.e. "beret," was really cool - of the Durham Light Infantry.

OTOH, I found the speech of an EM named "Michael" to be totally
incomprehensible. He was a *very* friendly bloke who was always down
for a chat, but I could only smile and nod. Since I couldn't
understand a word, there was no way that I could comment or answer a
question. Nevertheless, this seemed to be sufficient unto the
occasion, since he really seemed to enjoy our tete-a-tetes quite bit.

I have no idea whether Michael was also a member of the Light
Infantry, since I couldn't understand the insignia on his uiform,
either. He didn't wear a berry, but it's SOP for officers and EM not
to have identical uniforms.

FWIW, I miss the old "cunt cap." I think that the idea that all
members of all units should wear berets sucks. It's unfortunate that
the Army didn't bother to ask my opinion.

-Wilson

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:10 PM, James Harbeck <jharbeck at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       James Harbeck <jharbeck at SYMPATICO.CA>
> Subject:      Scots dialect samples
>
> For those interested in hearing sound clips (several minutes) of
> interesting Scots dialect, here's a good site I got forwarded:
>
> -----
>
> Celebrate a traditional Scots Halloween with neepy lanterns, ghaists
> and guising.
>
> The Scots Language Centre has a programe packed with spooky stories,
> seasonal music and videos.
>
> Start the celebrations by listening in as Mary Blance recounts this
> disturbing tale of premature burial in Shetland
> http://www.scotslanguage.com/books/view/41/1058
>
> Guid guising wishes fae aabodie at the
>
> Scots Language Centre
>
> A K Bell Library
>
> York Place
>
> Perth
>
> PH2 8EP
>

> Tele: 01738 440199
>

> www.scotslanguage.com <http://www.scotslanguage.com/>
>

> Scots Language Resource Centre Association Ltd.
> t/a Scots Language Centre,
> A.K. Bell Library, York Place, Perth, Scotland PH2
> 8EP
>
> Registered in Scotland as an Industrial &
> Provident Society No. 2451R(S).
> Scottish Charity No. SCO21747

-----
-Mark Twain