PPP "retrofit"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 6 22:30:02 UTC 2008

I found "shat" rather catchy and I began to use it myself as a, well,
"euphemism," in place of the "correct" and obscene form, "shitted." I
naively assumed that that was also what the other "shat"-speakers were
doing. You can imagine my surprise when I discovered that there's
nothing euphemistic about "shat" for millions of other people.

Speaking of mispreapprehension, I'm often shocked by the stunning
(a)melioration of BE obscenitites after they've been adopted by white
speakers.

There's a commercial in which a couple of white chicks smoke over a
dynamite stud as he ease on by. One turn to the other and she say, "I
could hit that."

Say what?!!! She may as well have just come right out and said, "I'd
like to give that dude some pussy and suck his dick."

In my youth, *NO*, *NO*, *NO* DECENT girl would *EVER* have said
anything like that! Not only was it man-talk, but it was a
grossly-obscene expression. There are probably not a few genteel black
ladies of my age for whom this commercial is meaningless, because
they've never heard "hit that" used in its obscene, sexual meaning.

FWIW, IMO, there's no connection between the clean slang, "hit on,"
and "hit that." In my experience, "hit that" is two days older than
water, whereas I first heard "hit on" in its, again, in my experience,
original form, "hit on her and see whether she come in out the rain"
on the same day that I first heard "Have Mercy, Baby," by Billy Ward &
The Dominoes.

Well, I guess that the only real problem is that such changes serve to
drive home the point that it's a damned shame that the Fountain of
Youth is a myth. Sigh!

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain