showrunner (was Re: Re: "to executive produce")

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Nov 10 03:54:46 UTC 2008

All this discussion of executive producers has reminded me of a term I only
recently learned from my brother: "showrunner". It sounds like the same kind
of role that Dave outlines for executive producers. Are the terms
synonymous? (Nevermind; I looked it up on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_runner. Short answer: yes, more or less.)

It also occurred to me that "showrunner", too, is ripe for the kind of
backformation that Arnold has written about. (I've written about some of
them, too; for example,
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2005/01/15/serial-killing-vs-serially-killing/).
Sure enough, a search of some of the alt.tv newsgroups turns up...

1. the gerund form "showrunning", complete with direct object. Not a
backformation, but worth noting.
with Emmy wins this season for writing, starring and showrunning 30 Rock
*alone* Tina Fey is already one of the legends of television history. (Rob
Jensen, Nov. 5, 2008,
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.tv/browse_thread/thread/57adb2d8bec66f5e?hl=en)

2. The same form used as a participle in a VP. Technically a backformation,
but are there attestations of 'showrun' as a verb that aren't identical to
the gerund form? (See next item.)
It was almost simultaneously announced with October Road's cancellation that
the trio will be showrunning/writing the remake of BBC show "Life on Mars"
on ABC next season. (leto, May 13, 2008,
http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3152020&st=930)

3. "showrun" as the base form of a verb. Unquestionably a backformation.
Ball, who created the hit "Six Feet Under" for HBO, will exec produce and
showrun "True Blood," which is based on the novel series "Southern Vampire"
from author Michael Schneider, "'Six Feet Under' creator to act as
showrunner, _Variety_, sometime before Aug 10, 2007,
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.buffy-v-slayer/browse_thread/thread/92add3a9fdb553a1?hl=en)

4. Further cementing badkformation status: the finite form "showruns" (and
another nonfinite "showrun"):
 Probably even means that they're leaning toward one staying to showrun
[Gilmore Girls] (likely Amy, of course) while the other showruns the new
show for its first season.(Rob Jensen, Nov. 26, 2005,
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.tv.gilmore-girls/browse_thread/thread/7ac97544d7019982?hl=en)

5. Even the irregular past form "showran":
I thought Bob Boden showran the first season before Canter took over.
(uncamark Dec. 29, 2005,
http://gameshow.ipbhost.com/lofiversion/index.php/t9610.html)

However, that last one is a step too far for at least one speaker. The next
message in the thread asks, "Is 'showran' a word you've 'architected' to
mean produced? (chris319, Dec. 29, 2005)

Neal Whitman
Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com