"many a" -- singular or plural? Or just awkward?

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Wed Nov 12 17:54:25 UTC 2008

What about "many a more"? As in:

        Get on board, little children (sing 3x)
        There's room for many a more.
        (traditional African-American spiritual)

A blend of "many more" and "many a one" or "many a [NOUN]"? The result of a
reanalysis of phrases like "many a [more honorable man]"? Or just a
meaningless extra syllable to fill out the meter?

>From CoCA, a single attestation:
Then long come a summer in 1917 and after those whitemen took that pipe from
around my head, I was brand new for sure because they almost killed me.
Along with many a more.
(1992, _Nights of Summer, Nights of Autumn_, Paula Ivaska Robbins)

>From Google Books, another African-American spiritual song:
        The ship is in the 'arbor,
        She's landed many a thousand
        And she'll land up many a more, a more, a more,
        And she'll land up many a more;
        We're on our journey home.
(The Northern Monthly Magazine, 1868, p. 78)

The issue of singular or plural doesn't come up, since the phrase doesn't
seem to be used as a subject.

Neal Whitman
Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com