"make no mistake"

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 14 15:46:10 UTC 2008

Arnold, you give the quotation as

  You should make no mistake this is anything else but a war.

but you describe it as

  but in the quote above, we have "make no mistake" with a "that"-
  complement conveying a negative assertion

Did you accidentally omit the "that" in typing the audio example, or
did you mean (that) the optional complementizer was omitted?

As transcribed by you, with no "that", the parsing depends on prosody.
With a pause, as could be written

  You should make no mistake: This is anything else but a war.

the construction would not be novel or ambiguous.

Mark Mandel