porno as a count noun

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Sat Nov 15 04:55:34 UTC 2008

Baker, John wrote:
>The Shel Silverstein song is "Polly in a Porny."

Thanks for the correction.

> The earliest I see of "porno" as a count noun is from 1984, quoting
> an
oral statement from 1980: "They told her that she was going to make a
"video porno" for them, which they intended to sell." State v. Chandler,
19 Ohio App.3d 109, 483 N.E.2d 192 (1984).

> It's older as a non-count noun. From Paul Zindel, And Miss Reardon
Drinks a Little (produced 1967, published 1971): "During his first year
in junior high he's taken dope, sold porno, and drew pictures of
rhinoceri fornicating on the cover of his world geography text book."

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."