Mavericky

Sun Nov 16 14:32:30 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Benjamin Barrett <gogaku at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I saw this word on a protest sign today and lo and behold: 27.2
> claimed Googits. My nomination for the WOTY. BB

Most prominently used by Tina Fey as Sarah Palin on Saturday Night
Live (Oct. 4 episode), in the spoof of the VP debate:

---
http://snltranscripts.jt.org/08/08ddebate.phtml
Gwen Ifill: Senator Palin, address your position on global warming and
whether you think it's man-made or not.
Gov. Sarah Palin: Gwen, we don't know if this climate change
hoozie-what's-it is man-made or if it's just a natural part of the
"End of Days". But... I'm not gonna talk about that, I would like to
talk about taxes, because, with Barack Obama, you're gonna be paying
higher taxes. But not with me and my fellow maverick. We are not
afraid to get maverick-y in there and ruffle feathers and not got to
allow that. And also, too, the great Ronald Reagan.
---

"Mavericky" may be another case of a Feyism that people now take to be
a Palinism (much as Fey's line "I can see Russia from my house" is now
widely attributed to Palin herself).

--Ben Zimmer