more seat-of-the-pants etymology for our delectation

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 17 17:37:26 UTC 2008

The NYT BR notes that Blount cites what I would consider to be an
*extremely* rare word: _hully gully_, usually spelled witha hyphen,
amongst the colored. I'm impresed that Blount is aware of its
existence. Astoundingly, IMO, the hully-gully is mentioned in
Wikipedia:

"The Hully Gully was started by Frank Rocco at the Cadillac Hotel in
Miami Beach Florida."

Unfortunately, no date is supplied. The article goes on to state:

"The rock group, the Olympics, sang the song "Hully Gully", in 1959,
which involved no physical contact at all."

This is nearly correct. It should read more like:

"The Los Angeles-based rhythm-&-blues group, The Olympics, otherwise
known to the wider world only, if at all, for having originally
recorded the song later covered and made famous by The Young Rascals,
'Good Lovin',' in 1959 recorded a song entitled, 'Baby Hully-Gully'."

As far as I'm aware, this is the first appearance of "hully-gully" in
the black community and I'm certain that it occurred there only in the
song title and as the name of a once-popular dance.

Historical note: Olympic Boulevard was the northern boundary of said
community, back in the day. The singing group, made up of Angelenos,
took its name from the name of the street.

The song itself is probably the best example of call-and-response
singing in black popular music ever recorded. I resist the very strong
temptation to supply the lyrics, though they be of no particular
interest, WRT dialect.

["Mama hully-gully / Papa hully-gully / Baby hully-gully, too"]

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain