more seat-of-the-pants etymology for our delectation

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 17 19:24:33 UTC 2008

trying to understand this argument in its best light...

its sound patently echoes its meaning
> or essence, which is how I read Shafer at least, is the claim that
> the essence is really shared both by the English [vIm] and the Latin
> [wim] from which it descended?  If so, seems like a rather fuzzy
> essence for a word as "strong" as _vim_ to bear.  Or maybe [wim]
> didn't represent its meaning, but providentially it evolved into
> [vIm], which does?

so when the Blountian lexo-sensualists argue for words to more or less
embody (or re-enact) their meanings, how do they try and explain
cross-lingual (or cross-temporal) differences?  Do words like _vim_ have
some 'universal' permanent, essence which crosses cultures and ages, or is
it just some local best fit for different candidate sounds of a language?