Deliberate Speed

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 23 15:27:51 UTC 2008

An important discovery, Stephen!

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen Goranson [goranson at DUKE.EDU]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 10:21 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Deliberate Speed

FWIW, here's an 1802 use.

Hygëia, or, Essays moral and medical
on the causes affecting the personal state of our middling and affluent
classes
Thomas Beddoes
1802
3 v. ; 23 cm.
London : R. Phillips.
Vol. 1, Essay Second (on Personal Imprudence, Active and Passive; on the
Incentives to It; on it's Effects, and Usual Origin.), p. 92:

We need but be perspicuous and impressive. If no crowds, drunk with
enthusiasm,
reel to our standard, converts will incessantly come over with deliberate
speed.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson