"cumberbund"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Sun Nov 23 22:42:00 UTC 2008

        My experience is the same as Neal's; I grew up in southern
Kentucky, and my parents were from the same area.  Based on the list
may be more common outside the South.

        Since it appears that Arnold has had the best of it in this
discussion, give me reasonable notice and I'll make every attempt to be
present for the courthouse lawn ceremony.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Neal Whitman
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:42 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "cumberbund"

I was born to a father who grew up in Georgia and a mother who grew up
in Texas, grew up in Texas myself, and went to my high school proms
wearing a "cummerbund". This discussion is the first I've learned about
the "cumberbund" pronunciation.

Afraid I can't make it to the courthouse lawn where either Arnold or
Wilson lives, but I'll look for the video on YouTube.

Neal Whitman
Email: nwhitman at ameritech.net
Blog: http://literalminded.wordpress.com