Q: animal "produce"?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 24 17:20:49 UTC 2008

At 11/24/2008 11:47 AM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>(there's always some indeterminacy in these things.  goodness knows
>what people do with turtle meat, alligator meat, frog, snake, etc.  i
>assume that they're not acceptable to ordinary vegetarians, nor would
>they be acceptable on "meatless" days.  but if your doctor tells you
>to "avoid red meat", are they in or out?)

Personally, I don't eat these, although I'm an omnivore.  Nor would I
eat cat, dog, ... .  :-)

More seriously, I don't think it would be sensible for me to refer to
the various plantation animal products brought into a Charleston
market in 1740 as "meats" or "flesh".  (For one thing, the cuts of
large animals would probably have been cut up in the market, not before.

Joel