animal "produce" (some Google results)?

Mon Nov 24 18:07:03 UTC 2008

In a message dated 11/24/08 12:21:21 PM, Berson at ATT.NET writes:

> More seriously, I don't think it would be sensible for me to refer to
> the various plantation animal products brought into a Charleston
> market in 1740 as "meats" or "flesh".  (For one thing, the cuts of
> large animals would probably have been cut up in the market, not before.
>
> Joel

I'm not sure if the question is about what people would have said in 1740 or
today. There was a time when "meat" merely meant "food" ("Upion what meat doth
this our Caesar feed that he hath grown so great"), but I don't know if that
went on into the mid-18th Century America.

For today, I don't think "meats" would be wrong. I wonder if I am the only
one of us who has actually looked at some data on this? I did some Google
searching and found a few interesting results.

There is an interesting discussion at <
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080220094931AA1rJyk> about the question "Is fish meat?"

As has already been suggested, the question is made more complex for the
respondents by issues involving vegetarianism (for purposes of which fish is
considered meat for most people) and Catholic church practices (where seafood
was--and maybe is still--not considered "meat" for purposes of fasting and
abstinence). Most of the respondents, however, seemed to feel that seafood should be
classified as "meat"--for whatever purpose. But, as Larry Horn suggested, this
is clearly a borderline area in which responses are varied and many people
have contingent and uncertain feelings.

As for poultry, I found no evidence anywhere I looked that anyone thinks of
poultry as not meat. The sources below all do, and they are pretty
authoritative. Most of them seem to classify seafood as borderline. Some supermarkets have
a "Meat and Seafood Department," but they are all pretty much in the same
Department, and businesses all pretty much advertise for workers who will not
distinguish the one from the other when it comes to cutting, packaging and
in-store preparation. The same workers do the job, regardless of what kind of flesh
is being prepared for sale.

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?bloc=1&q=meat&gclid=CKS-5IrljJcCFR8hnAodNQZEaw

Meat Cutter
The Fresh Market - Raleigh, NC +15 locations
   p" width="251"> Meat Cutter The Fresh Market requires previous meat
cutting experience (meat, poultry, pork, and seafood) in the retail or restaurant
industry..

PT Meat Cutter
Food Lion - Durham, NC +33 locations
Job Title: PT Meat Cutter Job Duties: Provide quality... Process fresh meats,
smoked meats, seafood, random weight, lunchmeat, frozen food and salted meats
to the...
------------------
http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/occup_workplace/supermar.html

What are the tasks involved in "Meat Packaging"?

In the meat packaging department, colour-coded expanded polystyrene (e.g.
Styrofoam plates) are filled with pork, beef and poultry. Workers carry the meat
to be processed from the storage room to the work bench. They also arrange the
plates, add moisture absorbing sheets, and place aluminum trays on the work
bench (Figure 2).

To complete a task a worker has to:

     * pick up a colour-coded plate
     * pick up a moisture-absorbing sheet
     * grasp pieces of meat from a box
     * fill the plate
     * remove the plate from the bench

=====================-================
http://www.foodcity.com/departments.php?action=meats

Meats

     * A Pantry Staple from the Meat Department
     * A Special Occasion Calls for A Special Roast
     * A STEAK IS A STEAK IS A STEAK…
     * Add a Touch of International Flavor to Your Hamburgers
     * CELEBRATE NATIONAL CHICKEN MONTH
     * Celebrate National Pork Month
     * Chicken Every Day for A Year!
     * Choose the Right Beef Cut for Your Recipe
     * Cooking Chicken
     * Cooking Under Cover

==================================
http://www.cooperativegrocer.coop/articles/index.php?id=100

The Red Meat Debate at Brattleboro Food Co-op

The discussion on whether to carry red meat at the co-op goes back in our
case about 3 years before we began the 1988 relocation to our present, much
larger facility. It was a difficult and sometimes highly charged emotional process,
especially given the fact that our organization was founded primarily by
vegetarians.

With the co-op already carrying chicken and fish, the board of directors
approved a management proposal to carry local frozen lamb and pork.

One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social networks,