animal "produce" (some Google results)?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 24 21:37:31 UTC 2008

I think it's a slippery slope, and a contextually
determined one.  Many cookbooks and menus have
"meat" sections/chapters, and only when you also
notice the presence or absence of a "poultry"
section/chapter can you be sure what the scope of
"meat" is for that particular author or menu
designer.  And has been often recognized, the
felicity of a "X and Y" locution (as in the "cats
and kittens", "slippers and shoes", "lions and
lionesses" type of case) is perfectly compatible
with X being a hyponym of Y or vice versa.  If
Dr. Spock writes a book on Infant and Child Care,
he does not thereby commit himself to infants
being non-children.  As for The Fresh Market's
"meat, poultry, pork, and seafood", I throw up
(at least) my hands.

LH