Q: "coned", v. (past tense), 1741

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 27 02:12:24 UTC 2008

The OED gives the definition " 3. To get to know; to study or learn,
esp. by repetition (mental or vocal); hence, in wider sense, to pore
over, peruse, commit to memory; to inspect, scan, examine."  I think
it's related to "ken" in its sense of "know," cognate to Latin and
Greek gno:.  I suspect ken is e-grade ablaut and know 0-grade, but I'm
not sure of this.

Herb