Re: [ADS-L] "empath" as lexicographic lacuna

Fri Nov 28 19:37:41 UTC 2008

I see. It is a small semantic shift from "paranormal" to "abnormal"--enough
so that maybe we are just seeing a low-level expansion that the lexicographers
just haven't caught up with yet. The difference is so subtle that a
lexicographer could be excused for thinking, "well, this is just a slight metaphoric
extension, not a real separate submeaning." Like calling chicken "meat," I guess,
or selling shrimp and filet mignon from the same counter in a small
supermarket.