Preposition deletion

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Nov 30 20:19:34 UTC 2008

"Let's go _down the basement_ is the standard usage here in the Boston area.

In Saint Louis, another place where houses usually have basements, we
said"...  _down in the basement_." I've also heard "... _down cellar."

The usual OT anecdote.

I once lived in Arlington Hills, MA, an area in which the surface is
underlaid (or underlain?) by granite. Whoever built the house that I
lived in must have felt that the lot was good enough for government
work as it was, since, if you went down the basement, you found a
granite knoll (or knob?), ca. six feet high and twenty feet in
diameter, obviously the apex of one of the original hills, right in
the middle of what was otherwise an entirely ordinary basement. The
house had simply been built around and over the knoll? / knob?. Weird!

-Wilson

-----
-Mark Twain