"Dram-king"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 2 14:46:31 UTC 2008

Well, y'all are all the man. I've never met anyone that I'd refer to
as either a drama-queen or a drama-king. Once again, perhaps I need to
get out more. Or maybe I need friends who possess more volatile
personalities.

BTW, am I correct in assuming that a drama-person is someone who
freaks out over the trivial and not someone who's simply a member of
the bathtub club, i.e., gets a whole lot of ass but takes no shit?

-Wilson

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Marc Velasco <marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: "Drama-king"
>
> I've been under the impression that 'drama queen' referred to girls/women
> (of any orientation) who tend to 'create drama' in their lives and in their
> social circles, blowing things out of proportion, finding conspiracies and
> intrigues against them at every corner, and are generally uncomfortable with
> the calm, the mellow, or the chill.  At least that's how this datapoint has
> always heard it.
>

> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
>> Subject:      "Dram-king"

>> I may be totally mistaken, here, but I've long been under the
>> impression that the term, "drama-queen," referred to an openly-gay man
>> who had a rather histrionic personality, such that he tended to freak
>> out over small things that were of little moment, to people gay or
>> straight, with less outgoing personalities.
>>
>> I've now begun to hear "drama-king" used as though "drama -queen" were
>> a term applicable originally only to straight women.
>>
>> For example, it was used by his former girlfriend to describe  the
>> same man who earlier claimed that, since he didn't "lhave a
>> _beat-a-woman bone_ in [his] body," his apparently-threatening action
>> was meant only "to _scare her up_ a bit" and not as a real physical
>> threat
>>
>> -Wilson
>> --
>> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
>> come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>> -----
>> -Mark Twain

-----
-Mark Twain