fan-hitting

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 14 02:28:49 UTC 2008

Thanks, Sam! That sounds closest to the answer to my original
question: how old is the expression? My other question is, of course,
unanswerable: how did it happen that I was totally unaware of the
original expression till after i had heard the feghoot of it? The
story was told by a black buddy to a group of us and I was the only
one who had to have it explained to him. So, clearly, it wasn't a
racial thing.

Oh, well.

-Wilson

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Sam Clements <SClements at neo.rr.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>
> Subject:      fan-hitting
>
> You can find this in Newspaper archive in 1950 by using "stuff" hits the =
> fan.
>
> Sam Clements

-----
-Mark Twain