fan-hitting (classified) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Oct 14 22:05:26 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I think Mark only meant that it is certainly appropriate that "feghoot"
is in _Brave New Words_, since the word has SF origins -- not that it
shouldn't be anywhere else.

I've only seen it used in SF contexts or in places which almost
self-consciously refer to its SF origins (such as this list, and the
sole cite that ProQuest Hist Newspapers offers).  You have to get all
the way to the 49th cite from Google Books of "feghoot" before you find
one that isn't clearly SF related (and it's a snippet view, so maybe it
is as well).  If it has usage beyond SF, no doubt the OED and other
dictionaries will pick it up.