Query about "second guess"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 16 18:56:48 UTC 2008

At 2:10 PM -0300 10/16/08, David A. Daniel wrote:
>If she is looking for homonyms that have opposite or nearly opposite
>meanings, "Oversight" is a big one. "The oversight committee committed an
>oversight by not calling the witness."

and "table" (as a verb), and "cleave" (together vs. apart), and
"sanction", and about 1000 others.  There's a thread somewhere on
these, in fact several, as the question recurs every few years.
We've variously called them Janus-words, antilogies, and (my
favorite) enantionyms.  Another bunch is goal (add ___ to) vs. source
(remove ____ from) polysemies in verbs:  "dust", "skin", "ravel",
"bark", "trim",...

LH