Wikipedia Unsure Whether African-American Should Be A A, A-A, A-a

Mon Oct 20 17:41:56 UTC 2008

Through linguistic classes, I came under the impression that Afro- and
African-American came from the need to create a socially and
linguistically neutral term that eliminates reference to skin color.
With the strong ethnic and religious divisions in the United States,
there is surely a need for everyone to own such a term of
identification.

In some cases, such terms may be truly descriptive such as in
neighborhoods where immigration is recent (not the case Doug
discusses). In cases where the ties are weak, they may be more
symbolic, a source of pride or means of accessing group affiliation.

My own mother is a case that has somewhat puzzled me. Her seventh or
eighth grandparent immigrated from eastern France to Canada, a refugee
from religious persecution, and there is no cultural identification
with France (or the more recent Canada) in my family. In her forties
and fifties, she gradually began identifying strongly with the French
such as by taking language classes, adopting her grandmother's last
name and then pronouncing it in a French style, and visiting the
ancient family graveyard (now plowed under). I'm not sure if she uses
the word French-American, but her behavior was certainly consistent
with group affiliation.

AFAIK it was a way for her to have and express pride in her cultural
heritage. To us kids, it seemed strange to incorporate something so
distant at such a strong level of identification, and also to single
out the French connection when our other lines such as Dutch and
German are just as strong. BB