Labov on red-state/blue state

Wed Oct 22 14:15:13 UTC 2008

I've heard Labov on this as well, though my sense of what he is saying could be wrong since it comes only from conversation with him, not with reading anything he has written on the subject.

I don't think that there is anything surprising in the observation that communities that communicate enough to share features of linguistic change would also share values that would influence voting patterns.

Also, I was surprised that Labov seemed a bit puzzled about why the upper midwest should  be on the whole so much more liberal than the lower midwest today. Couldn't this have something to do with large 19th-century Scandinavian settlements in the upper midwest?

He also seemed puzzled about why the lower midwest should be more liberal than the South but less liberal than the Northeast. However, the lower midwest was settled primarily by people from RURAL New England and the mid-Atlantic states. The liberal character of the Northeast depends greatly on the big cities. Also, southern Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and Kansas are historically almost as much southern as northern. The big cities of the lower midwest are blue, not red.

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 2008 20:57:50
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Chomsky's endorsement

At 7:40 PM -0500 10/21/08, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>  >So it depends on where you're voting.
>
>Do you think he could make a transformational rule to take this into
>account? Perhaps some kind of parameter for a general overarching
>voting principle?
>
>Scot

I don't know; the whole situation seems to call for an
optimality-theoretic solution, with the different constraints ranked
differently in different dialect areas.  Maybe I'm writing under the
influence of a talk I just heard Bill Labov give in which the
isogloss for the Northern Cities Vowel Shift is superimposed on
voting patterns from the 19th century to the current blue state/red
state (or actually blue counties/red counties) splits...

LH