Noah Webster at 250

Wed Oct 22 17:05:02 UTC 2008

Brian Clough, the late football (sorry, soccer) manager was "Cluff",
but it gets confusing.  The name "Gough" in British English, anyway,
is "Goff" not "Guff" (and this gets carried over to their
pronunciation of "Van Gogh"="Van Goff"; you don't even want to KNOW
the original if you're an English speaker).  There's also a common
Scottish name "Gow", usually spelled that way, but I wouldn't be
surprised if many American "Goughs" are "Gows".  Charlie Hough, the
former Dodger pitcher, was "Huff", and so is the neighborhood on the
East side of Cleveland (and the Brits would agree).  All of these
except the Scottish Gows contained /x/ in earlier English, and the
development of that is extremely variable, of course.

As far as plow is concerned, I think I've seen (probably in the UK,
not here) plow as the verb, and plough as the noun, thus preserving
the OE distinction of plogan v. (with a voiced velar fricative, which
lenites to a vowel) and ploh n. (with /x/ > /f/ or zero). And there
are dialects (trad. Yorkshire for one) which have "pluff" and "plee-
uff" for the noun.

Paul Johnston