Noah Webster at 250

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Sat Oct 25 23:50:02 UTC 2008

Someone asked if the 'graduates'  were sworn to secrecy or if older
sibs didn't spill the beans........my three-years-older brother had
also had Mrs. Stough & no doubt had told me, which makes my inability
to remember just that much more odd.  But, of course, it was a good
lesson in the peculiarities of our spelling conventions.
AM
On Oct 25, 2008, at 1:49 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Noah Webster at 250
>
> Stoughton in Massachusetts is "Stohton."
>
> -Wilson
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at att.net>
> wrote:
>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Alison Murie <sagehen7470 at ATT.NET>
>> Subject:      Re: Noah Webster at 250
>>
>> I had a teacher in third grade, back before  WWII, whose name was
>> Stough.  She used to challenge incoming classes to decide how to
>> pronounce her name..  Was it "Stuff" as in enough; was it "Stup" as
>> in
>> hiccough; was it "Stoff" as in cough; was it "Stew" as in through;
>> was
>> it like plough, &c.?   Oddly enough, instead of making me remember
>> what the answer was, I'm not sure, nearly seventy years later.  I
>> *think* it turned out to be "Stoh" like stowaway. (Can't think of
>> another analog.)
>> AM
>> On Oct 22, 2008, at 12:56 AM, Douglas G. Wilson wrote:

>>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster:       "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET>
>>> Subject:      Re: Noah Webster at 250

>>> -
>>>
>>> Here ...
>>>
>>> http://www.sff.net/people/Brenda/
>>>
>>> ... is a science-fiction author named "Clough", whose books I read
>>> years
>>> ago. (Perhaps like some kindred spirits subscribing to this list?)