Out of Pocket

Marc Velasco marcjvelasco at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 26 17:39:42 UTC 2008

I've heard someone try to link it to the political angle of _under
influence_ as in :
"He attends one meeting with Grover Norquist so now *he is in his pocket*?"

So 'out of pocket' would mean something like 'we have no influence over him
at all' ... or something.  No idea if this is true or not... sounds like
mostly guesswork to me.

Similar guesswork can be found here:

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2007/05/out-of-pocket.html