bootleg recessionistas

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Oct 27 02:01:22 UTC 2008

At 9:43 PM -0400 10/26/08, Alice Faber wrote:
>Laurence Horn wrote:
>>OK, "bootleg" isn't new, and I even have some Bootleg Dylan on my
>>iTunes, but is anyone familiar with it in this apparently bleached or
>>shifted sense as used by Matt Stairs below?
>>================
>>Friday, October 24, 2008
>>Phillies upset about World Series introductions
>>By Amy K. Nelson
>>ESPN.com
>>
><>
>>
>>"It's disappointing and some guys were extremely mad about it,"
>>Stairs said early Friday evening after the team's workout at Citizens
>>Bank Park. "I think it's bootleg when you have the World Series and
>>guys are jogging out to the line and they don't take the extra five
>>minutes to introduce the players."
>
>Could it be a Canadianism?

But Stairs is white!  ;-)

>Alternatively, a malapropism (for bush-league)?

Well, what it apparently isn't is a mishearing by Amy Nelson or
whoever she got the quote from.  It pops up in various other places
quoted the same way, so that does seem to be precisely what Matt
Stairs said.  Possibly related (although I don't understand how or
why) is the poem located at, yes,
http://itsbootleg.com/

LH