anise

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 2 00:48:05 UTC 2008

I thought that that Ronly Bonly Jones story predated 1958. I recall
reading the original Rd publication of that story some time back in
the 'Forties, seem like to me. (I was living in Texas at the time,
where "seem like to me" replaces "I think," when the latter means, "I
ain't fo' sho'," still heard in the wild. I've heard it on The Judges
used by both black and white speakers.)

BTW, remember the Asswipe (oss WEEpay) family from SNL?

-Wilson

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: anise
>
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
> <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > Accounts of the unfortunate naming of young Shithead abound in (and from) countless
>> > locales (all of them also "absolutely true")--along with the naming of the twin girls
>> > Lemonjello [l@ 'man j@ lo] and Orangejello, and the lad Nosmo King (from a sign glimpsed
>> > in the hospital maternity ward). The jokes often have a racist component--perhaps an
>> > unintended tribute the greater freedom in African American naming practices.
>>
>> http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
>
> Further discussion here:
>
> http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/08/25/creative_black_names/print.html
>

> --Ben Zimmer