Chinglish

Michael Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Wed Sep 3 21:45:43 UTC 2008

Tom Zurinskas wrote:
> I would assume it was done by trained listeners to sound files instead of viewing spectrograms.  I assume the key things were that if the "i" sounds like long e ~ee and the "g" is pronounced, then it's velar.  If the "i" sounds like short "i" and the "g" is not pronounced, then its alveolar.

Phonetics 101: The nasals are distinguished by place of articulation.
Not by the quality of the preceding vowel.

Are you now saying that you can't distinguish a velar nasal coda from an
alveolar nasal coda? There is no following [g]. If you're hearing a "g"
in Appalachian <ing> endings you should probably not be relying on your ear.