Gov Palin

Joseph Salmons jsalmons at WISC.EDU
Thu Sep 4 12:47:33 UTC 2008

Yeah, I've noticed that too, not just with plural -s, but broader
devoicing, I think. Somebody told me a couple days ago that this is
typical of some Alaskan speech, but I don't know anything about it.
The blogosphere has been on fire about Palin's accent, and I've been
waiting for insightful discussions of the topic here!

Whatever the status of Palin's accent and Alaskan English, this
feature is definitely a stereotype of Upper Midwestern English -- like
'da Bears' on Saturday Night Live, and robust in Wisconsin and
westward too.

Joe