square from Delaware (1939)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 4 13:45:40 UTC 2008

At 8:32 AM -0400 9/4/08, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  Oh, I was just floating the idea that "square" in the relevant sense
>>>  could have originated as a shortened form of "square from Delaware",
>>>  which in turn might have started out as not much more than a funny
>>>  rhyme along the lines of the others in the 1939 Dan Burley cite (Lane
>>>  from Spokane, killer from Manila, Home from Rome). Then when it was
>>>  established as a pejorative term for an unhip outgrouper, the "from
>>>  Delaware" part could be dropped. Just a theory...
>>
>>  And a reasonable one IMHO.
>>
>>  In "home from Rome", is "home" an abbreviation for "home[town]-boy" or
>>  some such thing? If so, can "square" be short for some analogous
>>  expression (e.g., [*]"square-boy") denoting a person from one's home
>>  "square" (nowadays we would say "[city] block" maybe)? Just woolgathering.
>
>"Home" shows up as a vocative equivalent to "homeboy" in Burley's 1944
>_Original Handbook of Harlem Jive_, as cited in HDAS: "Well, Home, ...
>you'd better get on it if you want it." "Lane", meanwhile, is defined
>by HDAS as "a person easily imposed upon or cheated; victim; sucker;
>(also) (now usu.) one who is foolish or socially unsophisticated;
>square." (A 1940 cite is given for "A lane from Spokane

Was "Spokane", from the evidence here and below, formerly pronounced
to rhyme with "lane"?  Or is this just an outlander pronunciation, as
pronouncing "Arkansas" to rhyme with "Kansas"?  Waller's "strictly
from Dixie" works pretty well as a half-rhyme, but for me "a lane
from Spokane" doesn't come close.  "A trash can from Spokane" maybe.

LH