"Process continuum"

Thu Sep 4 14:23:01 UTC 2008

What you describe as a "process continuum" is what linguists call "variable rule". That is why I said that the CCS rule is variable. However, linguists rarely use the term "slurred speech" except in describing the speech of people who are intoxicated; "unintelligible speech" is not studiable, is it?

It is well-known that /t/ and /d/ are variably deleted after /n/ in DON'T and WON'T. I have also heard this in CAN'T as well, though that can lead to ambiguity. N'T deletion is far less global than the CRR.

  The final consonant cluster