square from Delaware (1939)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 5 04:21:33 UTC 2008

So, the "lame" of my youth - and of today, for that matter - may be a
hypercorrection of "lane," once clipping severed it from Spokane, its
partner in rhyme.

As for Spokane, it may very well have purposely been made to rhyme
with cane instead of with can, so that it would also rhyme with lane.
You'd probably have had to be there, to know for sure.

-Wilson

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: square from Delaware (1939)

> [...]
>>
>> So do we have anything earlier for "square" = 'unhip person (from
>> Delaware or elsewhere)'? The 1939 Amst News cite doesn't imply
>> unhipness, but the 1940 one certainly does.
>
> Unhip (non-Delawarean) squares from 1939:
>
> 1939 _Atlanta Daily World_ 22 June 5/5 Most of the crowd, it is
> anticipated, will be "the country squares who will come from here 'n'
> there to 'dig' the N.Y. World's Fair."
>
> ["Galento No Bet in Harlem" by Eddie West, on opinions from Harlem
> about the coming title fight between Joe Louis and "Two Ton" Tony
> Galento.]
>

> --Ben Zimmer

-----
-Mark Twain