Square from Delaware, etc

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 5 09:18:13 UTC 2008

Many times in African American language, a word or phrase does not always have to make sense or adhere to its  traditional or logical meaning. In AAE, words are often given new meanings in which the focus is not so much on the meaning itself, but on how it sounds within a phrase or in a rhyme.  And in AAE as an oral language, sound is everything!

--Margaret Lee