antedating (?) of "hep" 1907 (Hip and hep)

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Fri Sep 5 22:13:30 UTC 2008

paul johnson wrote
 paulzjoh at mtnhome.com

hip vs hep
In my misspent (happily, I may add) youth when I had a grey flannel one
button roll, a black Mr B collar, Flagg Bros Brogans, a key chain 3/4 of
the way to my knees, two inch cuffs, and a charcoal porkpie, I clearly
remember the shift in Chicago from Hep to hip at about 1948 to 50. You
were a hepcat in the '40's and had morphed into a hipster by '52 at the
latest.

George Thompson wrote:
> [The  Actor's Boarding House and Other Stories, By Helen Green] was
>
>> published in 1907 but it says that the stories have all appreared in (NY?)
>> Morning Telegraph (in 1906?).
>>

> Yes, a New York paper.  I'm the world's foremost authority on Helen Green, and some years ago I tried to find a file of the Telegraph for the years she wrote for it (1905-1910 or thereabouts), but didn't succeed.  As I recall, the NYPL had it up to 1905, and after 1910.  It could be a good source for slang, since it devoted itself to the raffish elements of NYC culture.
> In its later decades, it was strictly a horse-player's organ, and was bought out and killed by the still-extant Racing Form in the 1950s.  But the Form doesn't have a file of the Telegraph from before the 1930s.
> Not to be confused with the NY Telegram, by the way.
>
> If SG has actually read The Actors' Boarding House, I will buy him a beer, should we ever meet.  We Helen Green fans are a small group, but intensely collegial.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

When you swim in the sea
And an eel bites your knee
   That's a moray!

.