Consonant Cluster Simplification is widespread

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 6 00:06:29 UTC 2008

I agree that t/d/ deletion is a misnomer, but for different reasons.
Final cluster simplification drops final LENIS consonants from
clusters, especially if there is a following consonant.  So we'll get
Arnold's "san' dollar" but not "pin' bottle" from "pint bottle."  But
it's been a long diachronic development. We get final -g, except for a
few dialects, only morpheme-internally and before a derivational
suffix, as has been discussed recently on the Chinglish thread.  So
deletion of -g in clusters occurs only after nasals in the
environments I just described.  Final -b has been lost so consistently
that it occurs finally in clusters only after -l-, as in "bulb," but
it typically doesn't delete.  So it's down to coronals, and they
delete pretty freely.  But there's another wrinkle.  A lot of
phonological analyses confuse the issue by insisting that the
fundamental distinction among obstruents is voicing, and English
spelling rather supports this with final clusters spelled -sp, -st,
and sk, but no -sb, sd, sg.  But in fact, as quite a few descriptions
have demonstrated, going back to a 1957 paper by Halle, Hughes and
Radley, the contrast is not one of voicing but one of articulatory
strength, or, in more recent terms, fortis vs. lenis.  In final
obstruent clusters in English the final obstruent has to be lenis.
IPA doesn't provide symbols for a fortis/lenis contrast, so we have to
redefine, by means of language-specific conventions, the IPA voiceless
obstruent series as fortis and the IPA voiced obstruent series as
lenis.  Fortis obstruents in English are always voiceless; lenes are
voiced or voiceless depending on the neighboring glottal states.
Phonologically, then, those final obstruent clusters ARE /sb/, /sd/,
/sg/, where /bdg/ represent voiceless lenes.  In final cluster
simplification, it's the final lenis that deletes, which is why words
like "lamp," "pint," "junk," etc. don't simplify.

Herb