Consonant Cluster Simplification is widespread

Sat Sep 6 12:45:37 UTC 2008

All of this seems to me totally correct.

-----Original Message-----
From: Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:45:27
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Consonant Cluster Simplification is widespread

Given some of the examples you list, I agree:  we're talking about two
different phenomena.  I don't agree in general that voicing is as
distinctive in English as consonant strength--you can predict the
former from the latter almost completely, at least within obstruents,
but I suspect that's a peripheral argument in this case.

Herb