uppity

Susan Tamasi stamasi at LINGUO.NET
Sat Sep 6 21:45:35 UTC 2008

I'm trying to do some research on the word "uppity" and it's racial connotation.

>From yesterday's TheHill.com: "Georgia Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland is standing by his statement that Barack Obama is 'uppity,' claiming that he has never heard of the term being
used in a 'racially derogatory sense'."

Having grown up in the South, I've always known (or felt) that "uppity" is derogatory when used to describe an African American. The term "uppity nigger" definitely rings in my ears when I
hear the word. When I heard of Westmoreland's gaff, I almost choked. However, in conversations with other white folk over the last couple of days, it seems that this connotation is only
known by about half. Some claim that it is a neutral term which simply refers to "snobby" or "elite", as Westmoreland claims.

I'm trying to figure out how widespread the "racially derogatory sense" actually is as well as when "uppity" took on this connotation. I have some ideas, but I wanted to your get your
thoughts.

Thanks,
Susan Tamasi