Amboy Dukes and other banned works

Doug_Harris cats22 at STNY.RR.COM
Sun Sep 7 15:02:25 UTC 2008

Ohhhh, some of those _had_ to be pushing the limits!!
I've heard there were lots of really electric scenes in the Ben
Franklin saga, and dope played a significant role in the Holmes
books. And that Gorilla book, with all that mist rising. Hot stuff!!
You can only imagine what James got up to with that peach, with its
soft fuzz and well-formed curves . . .
I remember reading the Amboy Dukes. Probably, like you, with a flash
light under the covers! (What did pre-flashlight kids do?)
dh

Salinger -- which I did (both ask for, from a female classmate with
whom I happened to ride home on the bus, and keep well hidden from my
mother, although that was not too difficult as I read it that night
under the covers with a flashlight, and returned it the next
morning).  But I remember _The Amboy Dukes_ too.

Checking on its date, when I type 'Amboy Dukes" into a title search
in Harvard's catalog, it comes up with just two items: that and
something titled _Literature Suppressed on Social Grounds_, by Dawn
B. Sova (Facts on File, 2006).  The Harvard catalog seems to list all
the titles it discusses -- which also include "Catcher", but some
mystifying titles as well, such as _The Adventures of Sherlock
Holmes_,._The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin_, _James and the
Giant Peach_, and the _Doctor Doolittle_ series and _Gorilla in the
Mist_.  (The last two must be there because of their uppity,
intelligent animals.*)

Joel