Beau=girlfriend

Leslie Decker leslie at FAMILYDECKER.ORG
Sun Sep 7 16:22:28 UTC 2008

I sheepishly admit to occasionally reading the gossip columns from WENN
news on the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com) website...  Recently I
have noticed that they have started using the word 'beau' to describe
someone's GIRLfriend, as in:

    Hollywood actor Morgan Freeman <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000151/>
    has found love again, just one month after he announced he was
    divorcing his wife of 24 years.

    The first image of The Dark Knight
    <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/> star and his reported new
    /*beau, Mary Joyce Hays*/, surfaced in the media this week
    (ends05Sep08), showing Freeman hugging the blonde divorcee and
    smiling widely.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0562131/

I have always thought of the word 'beau' as a rather outdated word for
boyfriend--it is a masculine form after all.  After seeing this blurb,
which is the second time I noticed it on this website, I went looking
(for about 5 minutes) for other examples of the word being used in this
way.  I DID find this entry from the Urban Dictionary:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beau which seems to imply
that more people think beau is acceptable for girlfriend.

What do you think?

Leslie