Beau=girlfriend

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 7 23:30:57 UTC 2008

I agree with the UD that "boo" is unisex. However, I consider it to be
sadly unfortunate that people have re-analyzed an
essentially-unanalyzable slang word as being derived from a word from
a foreign language that has grammatical gender and hypercorrecting the
slang term to match the foreign word without taking into consideration
the fact of grammatical gender.

In my high-school years, I was a member of a clique rather grandiosely
named "The Beaux." Our female counterparts were termed, somewhat
clumsily, "The Beauettes." We were well aware of the existence of
"belle," but "The Belles" wouldn't have made clear to the uneducated
masses that the girls "belonged" - uh, I'm talking early 'Fifties,
here - to The Beaux.

And yes, I do know that slang terms in English can have etymons that
are clearly from foreign languages, e.g.

booCOO "a lot, much, many" < French _beaucoup_

COMrad "a German, the German people" (BE military slang) < German _Kamerad_

doob "a German" (Army Security Agency Russian-"linguist" slang,
assumed to be) < Russian slang _dub_ [dup] "blockhead," literally
"oak"

-Wilson

-Wilson

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Gordon, Matthew J.
<GordonMJ at missouri.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Gordon, Matthew J." <GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Beau=girlfriend
>
> Perhaps influenced by "boo" which I thought was primarily used for =
> women, but some UrbanDictionarios allow for men too. Indeed one entry =
> states that 'boo' derives from 'beau' which sounds reasonable.

-----
-Mark Twain