Baby's an It (call of the obstetrician?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Sep 10 02:29:21 UTC 2008

At 10:12 PM -0400 9/9/08, Mark Mandel wrote:
>Whatever you call it, "mommy", "daddy", etc., fall into the same category,
>except that they can also refer to the speaker.
>
>m a m

Yes, sort of indexical names.  I'm not sure "Mommy" and "Daddy" [as
indexical names] are that different in function from "yours truly",
"{this/your faithful} correspondent", "the present writer", etc.,
except that they're used more with children.   As far as the illeism
component, children at the toddler stage often use their own name in
place of the first person pronoun too.  (But I guess not "Baby",
except for Baby Houseman in "Dirty Dancing".)

LH