Perogative

Fri Sep 12 14:43:34 UTC 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 11:03 PM, Benjamin Barrett wrote:

> I assume Shania Twain's pronunciation of prerogative (pero) in "Man,
> I  Feel Like a Woman" follows popular culture. That's my
> pronunciation, too...

and lots of other people's (and it gets spelled that way too) --
enough that it gets an entry in Brians's Common Errors.  and it's in
Nancy Hall's list of examples in her paper "R-dissimilation in
English" (available at: http://www.csulb.edu/~nhall2/ ), where Hall
credits Ben Zimmer and the "R's are us" list at: barelybad.com/
words1.htm#rsareus

"perequisite" for "prerequisite" is also reasonably common, but it's
not in Brians, Hall, or rsareus.

arnold