"word to mother" (1985)

Sat Sep 13 03:51:31 UTC 2008

The latest OED batch includes this in the entry for _word_:

----
P5d. slang (orig. and chiefly U.S., in the language of rap and
hip-hop). _word to_ : greetings to ; credit, esteem, or compliments to
. Also _word to the_ (also _your_, _my_) _mother_ and variants: used
as a general expression of affirmation or agreement, or to give force
to a declaration.

1988 'DR. DRE' et al. Straight outta Compton (song) in L. A. Stanley
Rap: the Lyrics 244 Word to the motherfucker Straight Outta Compton.
1988 'BIG DADDY KANE' (title of song) Word to the mother (land). 1991
Post-Standard (Syracuse, N.Y.) (Nexis) 9 Mar., Yo! Word to your
mother. This Iceman's..like no other. 1998 L. HILL Final Hour (song)
in Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (CD lyrics booklet), Word to Boonie I
makes a lot like a Sunni. 2002 S. HOLMES B-More Careful 253 It's
something about her that ain't right, word to my mother.
----

"Word to mother" can be heard on the song "The Show Stoppa (Is Stupid
Fresh)" by Super Nature, released as a 12" single in 1985:

http://www.discogs.com/release/182158

Super Nature was soon renamed Salt-N-Pepa, and the song was included
on their 1986 debut album "Hot Cool & Vicious" (under the title "The
Showstopper").

Audio + transcript here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlQtLNnSbqI
Same transcript: