OED Appeals: "rotten apple in every barrel"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Sep 16 12:20:40 UTC 2008

There are (at least) two separate proverbs about rotten apples: "There's a rotten (bad) apple in every barrel (box)," and "One rotten apple spoils the whole barrel." The latter is at least as old as the 14th century, the former apparently of 20th-century coinage.

An text from 1943 combines the two (or at least merges the ideas embodied in the two): "The proverbial one rotten apple in every barrel has already done its rotten work and corrupted most of its fellow apples" (_Los Angeles Times_ 7 Oct. 1943). Fred Shapire has found that example.

--Charlie